This Isn’t Even Fair
Hey, don’t get me wrong - I’m enjoying watching the Dodgers beat up on the hapless Nats right now as much as the next guy. As I write this, the Dodgers have just put up a seven-spot in the third to take a 8-2 lead against Livan “Cheeseburger Cheeseburger” Hernandez. With the struggles we’ve seen from the offense lately, it’s a fantastic sign going into the final stretch of the season and October.
The thing is… look, I’m not trying to be a downer here. But it’s Livan Hernandez. This is a guy who was outright cut by the Mets last month, and considering the Mets’ rotation right now consists, I believe, of Mike Pelfrey, Nelson Figueroa, Sid Fernandez, Omar Minaya’s nephew, and one of the Olsen twins, it’s saying a lot to think they told him, “thanks… but no thanks.”
Seriously, look at the recent track record of this guy - a 5.47 ERA for the Mets this year. 8.03 in 8 games for Colorado last year, and 5.48 in 23 games for the Twins to start 2008. He hasn’t even been a league-average pitcher since scraping by with a 3.98 ERA for these same Nationals in 2005, yet somehow he keeps getting work. And he’s not even a lefty! Even just take his history against the Dodger lineup - a .311/.357/.432 career line against, and since it’s over 466 plate appearances, that’s no small sample size. (Though somehow Juan Pierre still checks in with just .629 OPS and a 9/3 K/BB ratio).
Or look at his pitch stats for tonight’s game, because all he was throwing was 86-87 MPH fastballs. Because somehow that’s going to be good enough to get by. And surprise, surprise, the overweight guy who got cut by the Mets, and who’s listed at 34 but is probably much older, and who hasn’t been effective in years got crushed against a team he’s had no success against. Shocking!
So yeah, it’s an enjoyable night. Let’s just keep in mind who it came against. And good lord, look at his gut in that picture above.
Oh no, Ronnie Belliard started at second base again tonight and is 2-3 with a walk and an RBI! Sure is making the team worse, isn’t he?
- He's A Bear Alright| Should NFL Scouts Be Beware of Robert Griffin?
- NBA Primetime's Top Three Upcoming Point-Guards Destined For Greatness
- Fantasy NBA: Sophomore Studs
- Redskin Writers Have Spoken: 9-7 Season and Iffy Playoffs for Washington
- Week 1: Dolphins at Falcons Game Thread
- TNA Traci Brooks Pics
- Michael Jordan Hall of Fame Speech
- I Haven't Been Posting Lately Because...
- Open Thread: Red Sox vs Rays 9/2
- Basketball Hall of Fame Videos
- general summer NBA babble
- 2013 Draft: Lottery - chances of a top 3 pick
- 2013 Draft: Who would you pick at #10?
- Club Blazers GMs
- 2013 Draft: Combine Official List of Invites
- 2013 Draft: Rudy Gobert
- Kostas Papanikolaou is a winner
- Sacramento keeps their team
- Top pick Anthony Bennett needs shoulder surgery
- 2013 Draft: Trading for a starting center
New York Yankees
New York Knicks
Black History Month 2011
New York Jets
NBA Free Agency
New York Mets