The anti-collecting post
I don’t know if I’m really devoted to collecting baseball cards as much as I like the idea of being able to say I still collect after all these years - it seems tough to set goals or at least ones that will stick through next year.
At times I do not want anything to do with collecting - I realize cardboard pictures of men isn’t where it’s at and I shudder to think that is all I care about after 15 or 20 years, while other people have moved on.
1.) I think too much about collecting, I read the blogs, peruse the forums - without actually enjoying it.
2.) If I buy a random box of cards, unless I pull something - I’m just paying towards someone else getting the big hit out of a product. If pull a big hit, then it probably will not be worth as much in a few months.
3.) Random hits are worth $0.99 plus shipping on eBay - no matter how much I talk particular ones on my blog.
4.) My favorite players are more successful in their life, than I am in mine - collecting their cards is a reminder of that.
5.) One day I’ll be buried in my cards - who knows where the cards and I are going afterwards.
6.) Listing collecting goals for a particular year falls flat - when there is no money or interest to pursue them.
7.) I don’t know what not ‘being able to polish a turd’ means - so I keep picking up crap cards [repacks, loose packs from the 'junk wax era', etc] and convince myself I can do something with them.
8.) My only option for opening packs is retail - but the ones at Target or Walmart are mostly searched.
9.) Picking up a few base cards of my favorite players doesn’t really amount to much - I’ve hit the ceiling.
10.) I’ll be more than 10 years older - than some of players I’m currently or will be collecting.
- Working out a holiday posting schedule
- SCU Breaks is Back! 3 Boxes of 2009 Limited Football - FULL
- Titans-Chargers inactives, gameday thread
- Cardboard appreciation, semifinal #2
- Why I Haven't Been Posting...
- Welcome to the A's Michael Taylor
- JANUARY CONTEST......WIN A TRAILBLAZERS JERSEY OR HOODIE!
- Cardboard appreciation, quarterfinal #5
- Phil Rogers Is Wrong About Everything, Chapter 371
- 1994-95 Flair Series 1 Basketball
- 2013 Draft: Who would you pick at #10?
- 2013 Draft: Measurables, intangibles and team need at #10
- Cavs willing to trade #1 pick
- Olshey's direction may conflict with LaMarcus
- 2013 Draft: Draft picks for sale
- Club Blazers GMs
- general summer NBA babble
- 2013 Draft: Lottery - chances of a top 3 pick
- Brothers assaulted after taking Lillard's picture
- 2013 Draft: Combine Official List of Invites
New York Yankees
New York Knicks
Black History Month 2011
New York Jets
NBA Free Agency
New York Mets