Tags: Basketball, Boston Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Arron Afflalo, Big Baby, Glen Davis, Walter Sharpe
Pistons’ Arron Afflalo to Denver for Cap Space to Get Glen “Big Baby” Davis?
The Denver Post reports that the Pistons may trade Arron Afflalo to the Nuggets to clear cap space in order to pursue a big man. A 6′ 5″ guard/forward and capable of guarding multiple positions on the perimeter, Afflalo averaged 6.3 points per game on 47 percent shooting for the Pistons last season, his second NBA season upon being drafted from UCLA. He was in-and-out of the lineup as Detroit used multiple lineups during the season.
The Nuggets have a trade exception that would allow them to take a player without sending anything in return.
Rumors also swirl about Joe Dumars seeking to trade Walter Sharpe, the Pistons’ second round draft pick last year, who hasn’t shown up to practice and play with the Piston summer league team.
Now that Brandon Bass has signed with the Orlando Magic, the next big man on Dumars’ list may be restricted free agent Glen “Big Baby” Davis. He is said to be uninterested in playing reduced minutes in Boston behind Rasheed Wallace.
Moving Afflalo will give the Pistons about $3.5 million under the cap. Moving Sharpe will increase the cap space to about $4.2 million. Adding Davis will help bolster the Pistons’ frontcourt with another physical player with a wide body, but it’s questionable whether either amount would be enough to dissuade the Celtics from matching an offer from the Pistons.
Time will tell.
- A special guest on tonight's Knee Jerks: Bob Page
- Interview with Mark Malaska
- Back From the Hall of Fame (Not the Basketball One): News and More
- Wilson & The CD Have Fan Fest Tix... For Free!
- Report: Blair signs contract
- 2009 Bears Preview
- Cowboys Open '77 Season with 7-0 Start
- Desperate times, desperate measures
- Season Preview 2009 Minnesota Vikings
- Talking To Chicks Who Love Hoops: Taking Crazy Pills