J.P. Ricciardi is a horrible GM
The statement J.P. Ricciardi is a poor general manager is really stating the obvious at this point. He attempted borderline extortion on the Phillies only to come up with nothing at the Trade Deadline when trying to unload Roy Halladay. Moving Halladay was the smart move, but Ricciardi overreached and came back with nothing. He never had the amount of leverage he believed he did. He had to have every top prospect in Philadelphia’s system rather than four good prospects who would provide a solid foundation for the foreseeable future. On top of that, Halladay is set to leave Toronto when his contract is up in 2010. I’m guessing J.A. Happ, Michael Taylor, Carlos Carrasco, and Jason Donald look darn good to you right now. Instead, the Blue Jays must wait for compensation picks once Halladay leaves via free agency. Well played, J.P.
I don’t disagree with his dumping of Alex Rios and Scott Rolen. Those moves saved the Jays about $65 million to be reinvested into the club. Rios’ contract was an albatross and Rolen’s seen better days. Both needed to go. That reinvestment won’t be happening right now Jays fans. The Jays did sign first round pick Chad Jenkins. Ricciardi failed to sign the remaining three of Toronto’s top four draft picks - James Paxton, Jake Barrett, and Jake Eliopoulos. Yes, Paxton is a Scott Boras client, but that didn’t completely preclude his being signed. Paxton projected to the closer’s role, possibly by 2011. If you’re not going to spend the money on your 1st round sandwich pick in the draft, you’re probably not going to spend it. Ricciardi can defend himself by saying he did sign every pick in rounds 3 through 20. Talent cannot be left on the table, especially when it’s high end talent. That’s what Ricciardi did here.
- Ben Wallace to return to Detroit
- NFL Should Pay For Cowboys Scoreboard To Be Raised
- Photo Recap: Nike Lebron Air Max VII Summit
- Haeger Pleases Knuckleballer Fans With Fine Start
- No Disassemble #7
- What's happening in the NBA?
- Female Wrestling News - Mickie James, Beth Phoenix, Jenna Morasca and More
- Raiders to tackle 49ers: Guest Writer
- Training Camp Day 22 wrap: Guest Writer
- Brewers off the board for Lee and Washburn
- Cavs willing to trade #1 pick
- Olshey's direction may conflict with LaMarcus
- 2013 Draft: Draft picks for sale
- Club Blazers GMs
- general summer NBA babble
- 2013 Draft: Lottery - chances of a top 3 pick
- Brothers assaulted after taking Lillard's picture
- 2013 Draft: Who would you pick at #10?
- 2013 Draft: Combine Official List of Invites
- 2013 Draft: Rudy Gobert
New York Yankees
New York Knicks
Black History Month 2011
New York Jets
NBA Free Agency
New York Mets